Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bread

Whole Wheat Bread
This recipe can be made with an egg or without. However, I find that the texture is better for cutting (less crumbly) and the bread stays moister. It doesn't dry out as quickly. Of course we don't have to worry about that around here because I need 1 1/2 to 2 loaves per day for my family.

If you are able to get cheap farm eggs, which is what I use, then I say go for it. Try this recipe with an egg. If you are not able to afford to use an egg, it doesn't need one anyway.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water
1 egg--NOTE--the egg takes the place of some of the water. If using an egg, then crack it into the measuring cup before measuring the water. Total volume of egg plus water should be 1 and1/2 cups.

1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey (sugar works too)
2 tbsp oil (margarine works too)
1/2 cup oats
3 1/2 cups minus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp yeast

Place in baking pan in order listed.
Whether or not you need wheat gluten depends on the protein content of your flour.
If you substitute sugar for honey and margarine for oil then you may need to tweak the wet ingredients a little.

This recipe works perfectly for me every time.
I know that different flour and different humidity/altitude can also have an effect on how bread turns out.

I use the basic or rapid cycle on my bread machine even though it says they are for white flour only. I find that the whole wheat cycle dries out the bread too much and it seems over-cooked.

You may need to experiment a little. I have had loaves that turn out far from perfect. We either slice them up and eat them anyway or I use them for french toast, bread crumbs, croutons, etc. It never goes to waste. The experimenting is worth it because you will find a way to make a perfect loaf every time!

Good luck. If you have any questions or suggestions, I read and respond to each comment.

No comments: