Saturday, March 28, 2009

What Do You Do With Good Deals?

I was doing my weekly grocery shopping yesterday and I did not have potatoes on my list. I planned on using up my last two pounds this week and then use instant mashed potatoes after that if I needed them.

I happened to notice that yellow-fleshed potatoes were on sale for $1.99 for 10 lbs. Well that's a deal that I just cannot resist. So, I ended up buying 2 bags. This is an example where my weekly menu plans get blown all to ...

But I love those kinds of changes in plans. A deal like that will save me lots of food $$ if I can plan on using them all up before they go bad.

With a family of 7 this is not a hard thing to do. If your family is smaller I would suggest that you decide how much of a good sale you can use before they go bad and go to waste.

The key to using up this good deal to feed my family is finding more ways to cook and serve potatoes so they don't get sick of them.

Let's do some brainstorming...
mashed potatoes
baked potatoes
beef stew with potatoes
oven-crisp fries
crock-pot potato soup
mashed potato biscuits
potatoes au gratin

What else can you think of?

How about:

Sliced Potatoes with Garlic Sauce
(serves 4; can be doubled)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a shallow, large casserole.
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lbs yellow-fleshed potatoes, sliced 1/8" thick.
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Arrange half the potato slices in a layer in the casserole.
Drizzle with 1/2 of the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Repeat the layers.

Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and spread minced garlic on top.
Replace foil and cook 10-15 minutes more just til tender.

This recipe also works very well for breakfast. Serve alongside scrambled eggs.

Hope you find some good deals this week!
We would love to hear your comments.

2 comments:

Arden said...

I have a large family and I buy potatoes in 50# sacks. It's amazing, even to me. lol

I have menu planned in the past but like you, I get thrown off when my mom brings something by or I find a great deal. I'm back to planning the just for the next day.

MiniChef said...

I so agree with you. Another problem I have found is that planning too far ahead often means that I am not in the mood for the meal I planned for that day!
It's funny. I still promote some type of planning, because without it, we can run into the problem of not having anything ready.
It really boils down to finding out what works best for you.
Thanks for dropping by!