Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bread Machines

Yesterday I posted my very favorite bread recipe. We only make 100% whole wheat bread, and that recipe makes a wonderful loaf.

I have discovered, however, that the exact same recipe in a different bread machine will behave differently.

My 10 year old wonderful Black & Decker does something that not all new bread machines do. It pre-heats the ingredients before kneading. I don't know exactly why, but this seems to make a big difference when baking with whole wheat flour.

This is one reason why experimenting with a recipe and then adjusting it until it is perfect for your bread machine really is worth while.

Yes, you may have some loaves turn out less desirable. Don't waste it. Just make something else out of it. Try again. Once the recipe is perfectly suited for your bread machine, copy it into your bread machine book and it will be there whenever you need it.

When I make dough, here are some of the things I make with it:
  • pizza
  • cinnamon rolls
  • giant pretzels
  • buns
  • chopped bread
  • pizza buns
  • bagels
Over the next few days, I will post on the dough recipe and instructions for each of the above.

No comments: